General Seating and Reservation Policies
- All tables are spaced 6 feet apart and social distancing must be observed.
- Per Rhode Island state regulations, parties containing only immediate house-hold members only please.
- Reservations are strongly recommended. To support contact tracing, we ask for full name, cell phone number, and email address when reserving.
- All guests must participate in a verbal health check upon arrival
- Advanced HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) Filters are used inside our dining rooms and bars to ensure healthy air purification. According to the CDC, HEPA filters have been found to be no less than 99.97% efficient at capturing human generated viral particles associated with SARS-CoV-2.
- Our newly renovated bar features plexiglass in between seats for your comfort and safety.
- Should you feel more comfortable dining outside, our spacious patio features open, fresh air directly from our harbor; fire pits; and heaters for your warmth and comfort. Fire pits are available on a first-come, first serve basis. Reservations are required.
Minimally Touched Surfaces
- Select from a QR code to access our online menu, or a one-time-use paper menu.
- Contactless payments are available and strongly encouraged.
- Our restrooms are sanitized every 15 minutes.
- Please find sanitation stations at either of our entrances
We take the health and safety of our guests and team members very seriously. Please see below the strict guidelines we are implementing for our team members and restaurant sanitation:
Upon arrival for a shift:
- All team members are required to enter and exit through the back kitchen door. Upon arrival, they must leave all personal items such as coats, bags, and cell phones in a locker.
- All team members are required to immediately wash hands in one of the kitchen/employee bathroom hand sinks.
- All team members are required to check-in with a manager to have their temperature logged into the staff health binder. In addition, they will answer two health questions and initial that their response is “no” to each.
- “Do you have any symptoms of COVID-19 including sore throat, fever, shortness of breath, loss of taste or smell?”
- “Have you been in direct contact with anyone COVID-19 positive within the last 14 days?“
Any team member with a temperature above 100.5 (guideline for a fever), or has answered yes to either question, will not be able to work and will be directed to get checked and/or self quarantine for 14 days.
- To ensure uniform cleanliness, team members will be issued several uniform polos. Our back of house team members are required to change into their line shirts upon entering the building.
- Team members are required to leave their cell-phones in their locker for the entirety of their shift. They will be permitted to check cell phones in the staff area with permission from a manager, and are required to promptly wash hands after use. The house phone will be available to make or receive calls during a personal emergency.
- Front and back of house team members are required to wear face masks at all times.
- Team members working on the patio will be issued individual handhelds at the beginning of all shifts, and must sanitize their handheld with sanitizing wipes as frequently as possible. Staff must also sanitize pens with sanitizing wipes between each guest use.
- We will have a two person dishwasher team on at all times – one will be responsible for washing/rinsing dirty dishes, and the other will be responsible for removing clean dishes and putting them away. Both team members must be wearing gloves while working.
- Tables will remain clean and empty until guests are sat. Upon seating, the host will set the table with silverware kept up at the host station.
- All drinks will be made with fresh glassware, with the exception of wine refills. The bar will have mini decanters to fill and allow servers to bring to the table to pour for guests before returning to the bar. No decanter will sit on the table.
- All tables and chairs will be thoroughly sanitized between each party.
- Door handles will be sanitized every 15 minutes. Doors that can remain open to avoid touching door handles will be propped open (with the exception of bathroom doors.)
- Bathrooms will be sanitized every 15 minutes, with a cleaning log kept at host station and sheets archived for 30 days.
Q: How do I make a reservation?
A: Please visit https://thereefnewport.com/#res to make your reservation online, or call us directly at The Reef (401) 324-5852. Please be sure to provide the names and contact information for all diners in your party.
Q: How do I cancel a reservation?
A: Please use OpenTable.com or the OpenTable App to cancel your reservation, or, call us directly at The Reef (401) 324-5852. If you are cancelling your reservation the day of, we ask that you call us directly.
Q: Will I be allowed access to the indoor restrooms?
A: Yes, guests may use our indoor restrooms located through our dining room at the inside of the front entrance. Our restrooms will be sanitized every 15 minutes for your safety.
Q: Why do your servers wear masks, but not gloves?
A: Wearing gloves has not been recommended by the CDC as an effective way to prevent the spreading of viruses. This is due to cross contamination, in which a glove may come in contact with the virus and is then transferred to any other surface it comes in contact with. Instead, we are enforcing that all employees thoroughly wash their hands throughout their shift.
Updated COVID-19 Procedure As Of: February 12, 2021